Playing with fire and oxygen

There are so many articles saying do not smoke when using medical oxygen and the below article shows exactly why experts advise you not to smoke:

Woman left fighting for life after sparking huge explosion by lighting a cigarette while wearing an oxygen mask

  • The 47-year-old was lighting up at home at 7.30am in the morning
  • The flame set light to oxygen coming from her medical mask
  • She is in intensive care with facial burns after being taken to hospital

The unnamed woman tried to light her cigarette too close to her medical oxygen apparatusA woman is fighting for her life after she lit a cigarette while wearing an oxygen mask, sparking an explosion.
The incident happened as the unnamed 47-year-old attempted to light up at her home in Heywood, Manchester just after 7.30am on Friday morning.
As she brought the light to her cigarette it set fire to the oxygen emitting from the nearby medical equipment, causing the gas to explode in her face.
The blast left her with severe burns and started a fire in a first-floor bedroom of the terraced house in Cartridge Street, Greater Manchester.
Emergency services were called to the scene but the fire was out by the time they arrived.
The woman received treatment in the house and was taken to Fairfield Hospital in Bury. Doctors then opted to put the woman into an induced coma.
She remained in intensive care for treatment last night. Shocked neighbours woke to find several fire engines and police cars in their street following the accident.
Frances Tennant, 85, who lives opposite her, said: ‘I do see her and her husband. They seem friendly. It’s a bit of a shock that this has happened and I hope she’s OK.
‘I could see police cars on the corner and plenty of activity with the fire service and I wondered what was going on.’
Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: ‘They seem like a nice family. My boyfriend knows them better than me but we often say hello.
‘The fire engines woke me up this morning just before eight o’clock and I wondered what had happened.’
The family of the woman, who has not been named, declined to comment.
Find out about OxygenWorldwide : www.oxygenworldwide.com
article By AARON SHARP
PUBLISHED: 14:35, 7 December 2013
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519834/Woman-left-fighting-life-sparking-huge-explosion-lighting-cigarette-wearing-oxygen-mask.html#ixzz2r5AmoP3e

Leave a Reply